December 14, 2008

Good Grief AFI

Finally released, here is AFI's selection for the ten best American films of the year.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Frozen River
Gran Torino
Iron Man
Milk
WALL-E
Wendy and Lucy
The Wrestler


Not an entirely bad list (with the scorching exception of Iron Man and The Dark Knight, but I realize full well that I'm in the minority there). I'm also particularly keen on the fact that they're not turning a blind eye to the indies, some smaller (Frozen River) and some larger (The Wrestler) in scale. It's actually a fairly diverse meld. You've got blockbuster 4-quadrant fair there (Iron Man, TDK), smart indie cinema, an animated film, and engrossing Oscar-baity quality movies. 

I may not agree with their choices, but it's a heck of a list if you're looking for a taste of what 08 had to offer. In fact, my favorite film of the year made the list, which is very infrequent. 
My second and third favorites didn't, but I can live with that.
I only wish that AFI had included the other (*cough*superior*cough*) Robert Downey Jr. film of the year...

--DM

No comments: